Heckington History

(picture courtesy of Heckington Past Facebook Group)

Heckington is one of the largest villages in Lincolnshire and also a parish. It is situated in the south of county on the east coast of England, close to the Wash in the North Sea. It is about 117 miles north of London, 5 miles east of Sleaford and 11 miles west of Boston.

 
The Parish supports a population of around 4,000 with most residents living in the Village and with a few hundred in the surrounding rural area.
 
Heckington is Famous for it’s 8-sailed Windmill and annual village show, It is a fun, friendly and safe place to live with plenty of local amenities and excellent road and rail links.
 
 
Heckington Show

Home to the largest village show in England, Heckington show is over 130 years old and held during the last week of July. Visitors come from far and wide to experience stalls, arts, shows, races and a spectacular firework show to name but a few of the attractions.
 
Heckington Windmill

Heckington Windmill is the only 8-sailed tower windmill still standing in the United Kingdom with its sails intact. It was originally built in 1830 by Edward Ingledew of Gainsborough for Michael Hare as a five-sailed mill. Following a severe thunderstorm which blew off the cap and sails, it was repaired in 1892. The repairs were carried out by John Pocklington using a cap and eight sails from a windmill in Boston. The bricks from the Boston mill were recycled and used to build the mill house that stands at the front of the site.

Heckington Windmill ceased work in 1946 and deteriorated until it was purchased by Kesteven County Council in 1953 and made safe. The mill underwent restoration in 1986 and further major repairs were carried out in 2004 and is now in full working order, thanks in part to a Heritage Lottery grant of nearly £1,000,000.

The Windmill is now owned by Lincolnshire County Council, but is operated and run on a voluntary basis by Heckington Windmill Trust.
 
St Andrews Church
This Grade I listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Andrew. It is of cruciform plan and in a complete Decorated style. The original 14th century church was acquired by Bardney Abbey in 1345 and subsequently a new chancel was built by vicar Richard de Potesgrave, chaplain to Edward III.
Potesgrave’s damaged effigy is within the church along with other memorials including brasses to John Cawdron (d. 1438), and William Cawdron “baylyf of Hekington” and his two wives.
The steeple is from 1360-70. it was rebuilt in 1888 as part of a restoration after a previous church restoration of 1867. Over the south porch are the arms of Edward the Confessor, adopted by Richard II in 1380.
 
The church has original stained glass windows, one of which depicts the construction of the Decorated style building itself.

 

If you have historical knowledge of the village and wish to have it included, please contact the editor email: editor@heckington.com

Lincolnshire Satellite Broadband Internet

Latest Heckington News

Donaldsons DIY Heckington



Visit Lincolnshire


Follow us on Twitter